“The Banks of Brandywine”
Earliest date: before 1860 (broadside, LOCSinging sb10031a)
Found in: US(Ap,MW) Canada(Mar)
The singer (a sailor) meets a girl and asks her to forget her lover -- telling her first that her lover is probably untrue and then that he's already married to another. She faints; he reveals that he is the long-lost lover
Broadside LOCSinging sb10031a: J. Andrews dating per _Studying Nineteenth-Century Popular Song_ by Paul Charosh in American Music, Winter 1997, Vol 15.4, Table 1, available at FindArticles site. - BS
- LOCSinging, sb10031a, "The Banks of Brandywine," J. Andrews (New York), 1853-1859; also as100580, as100590, "The Banks of Brandywine"
- Laws H28, "The Banks of Brandywine"
- Gardner/Chickering 72, "The Banks of Brandywine" (1 text plus mention of 1 more)
- Smith/Hatt, pp. 64-66, "The Banks of Brandywine" (1 text)
- Creighton-Maritime, pp. 62-63, "Banks of Brandywine" (1 text, 1 tune)
- Mackenzie 71, "The Banks of Brandywine" (1 text)
- DT 811, BNKBRNDY
- Roud #1970
- BI, LH28